Grounding and Bonding
Grounding and Bonding Practices for Oil and Gas
Grounding and bonding is the foundation for any lightning and static protection system. Attachment to earth is critical; grounding needs to be for a specific purpose and to meet a specific standard.
Petro Guardian offers a thorough, engineered solution to bonding your tank batteries.
Lightning travels on the skin of conductors, which is why UL rated lightning grounding cables are made from uncoated strands of loosely woven wires. Other UL 96 grounding and bonding components have the mass and surface contact needed to carry lightning’s current. Just like a chain, a bonding and grounding system is only as good as its weakest link. A properly installed system of UL 96 rated grounding and bonding components creates a low impedance path to ground.
Petro Guardian recommends installing ground rods on opposite sides of a tank battery and bonds each critical component to a dedicated lightning conductor trunk line. Our recommended bonding and grounding system includes bonding of thief hatches, vent pipes, catwalks, bull plugs, tank lift straps, tank sticks and all metal bodies in the tank battery’s vapor space. While grounding and bonding remains the foundation for a production or SWD tank battery’s protection system, contact Petro Guardian for more information about the other 4 parts of the protection plan: lightning protection, indirect strike protection, static protection, and load out protection.
Grounding Services for Oil Field Assets
- Soil resistance measurement
- Grounding system resistance measurement
- Equipotential ground verification
- Grounding equipment rating verification
- NFPA 780 and NFPA 77 compliance study
- Lightning damage root cause analysis and shielding recommendations
- Design and supply of grounding systems for storage tanks
- Design and supply of grounding systems for process skids
- Design and supply of grounding systems for SCADA/ communication towers
- Design and supply of grounding systems for cathodic protection control unit
- Design and supply of grounding system for well heads, separators, heater treaters, and vapor recovery
- Design and supply of grounding systems for static control on transfer stations